Newport’s bridges have played an important role in the history and development of the city, spanning the river Usk and allowing goods, resources and people to move easily between the east and west sides of the city.
There are five bridges open to vehicles and people in Newport city centre and also a rail bridge that runs parallel to the Town bridge.
The main bridges in Newport are:
1. The Town Bridge - mediaeval in origin, last rebuilt in 1920s
2. Transporter Bridge - 1906
3. George Street Bridge - built 1964
4. New City Bridge - part of the Southern Distributor Road, 2004
5. Newport City Footbridge - completed 2006